RECIPE: CHINESE STYLE EGGPLANT WITH GREEN BEANS (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
- 2 Chinese eggplants, sliced into 1-2 inch pieces, skins on
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup “Beyond Beef” Crumbles
- 1 cup french green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1 to 2 TBSP wine or vegetable broth + any extra as needed to deglaze pan
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 3 tablespoons avocado or vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 inch pc ginger, grated
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly, white half and green half divided
- 1/2 TBSP hot chili flakes (optional)
- 2 TBSP Tamari (GF soy sauce)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Remove the ends of eggplants and then cut into small cubes (. Transfer them into a bowl, sprinkle with sea salt, cover with water and let them soak for 10 minutes.with water, add
pinch of salt and soak for 10 minutes. Drain eggplant completely.
In a cast iron pan or in a wok, Heat 2 TBSP of oil. Toss eggplants briefly with a little bit of cornstarch, then fry the eggplants for 6-9 minutes until looking wilted and a little withered**. They will have a wilted, withered appearance. Remove the eggplants and set aside for now.
Add the Beyond Beef crumbles, green beans, and garlic to the pan, sauté until “beef” is browned. Remove and set aside.
Add 1 TBSP of cooking oil to pan, and fry green onion white parts, ginger, and chili flakes until aromatic. Return the eggplants & beef to the pan , along with the wine, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Stir in the green parts of the onion, & cook on low until all ingredients heated through evenly. Add a little water to thin sauce as desired.